Knowledge Management – it was perhaps one of the terms that most of us may not understand properly. In fact, the concept was created back in the 1990s and still has remained a new discipline. However, what exactly is Knowledge Management?
What is Knowledge Management?
Knowledge Management is how you will be able to detect, capture, retrieve and share the complete information asset of an organisation. These would include databases, documents, policies, and procedures.
This will help you arrive at the best possible information about the organisation and lets you share it without any complications. Some good examples where proper knowledge management can be achieved can be document management services like Google Drive or Dropbox. Social media sites like Facebook can also double up as an excellent option in this context.
Photo Credit: Pexels.com
Why is it so Important?
Well, knowledge and information are one of the best options to make sure your organisation prospers. However, if this knowledge is not documented properly, It may end up not capable of being accessed properly and runs the risk of getting disappeared.
Proper documentation of knowledge and proper knowledge management is quite essential for a wide range of reasons. Some of them can be:
- Your employees may quit the company or retire, taking decades of knowledge with them. If you are unable to preserve and manage them properly, the cost of this loss will be quite dangerous in nature.
- The data that the knowledge is saved can get lost because of the issues in your computer system. Storing the data can have severe issues if stored locally, as it will not be available to others when they are needed the most.
- Your employees may not be efficient enough in sharing or communicating the knowledge.
These are just a few pointers that should help you opt for the best options in ensuring better knowledge management.
What are the Benefits of Knowledge Management?
Some beneficial elements that knowledge management offers you would include
- It lets you opt for enhanced performance when it comes to saving time in recreating the knowledge.
- Consumers can have access to the knowledge sooner enough.
- Proper knowledge will ensure that there would be no mistakes in the business.
- Proper knowledge management ensures that you will be able to make informed decisions.
Wasn’t that enough to understand the efficiency of an enhanced knowledge management system? Achieve the best results with proper management of knowledge.